It's Eddie, steady, dough for darts ace

Moderator: stokesey

It's Eddie, steady, dough for darts ace

Postby stokesey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:36 pm

TAKEN FROM - PETERBOUROUGH TODAY.CO.UK - THE EVENING TELEGRAPH

BUS driver Eddie Martin hit the bullseye by winning one of the most lucrative darts tournaments ever held in the city, Martin saw off Nottinghamshire-based opponent Chris Cooper in the final of the fourth annual Cambridgeshire Darts Open at the New England Club. It was third time lucky for the city thrower who had lost to Cooper in two previous showpieces, His reward for emerging victorious from a field of 109 throwers was a cool £800 first prize. Cooper had to settle for the £350 second prize with beaten semi-finalists and losing quarter-finalists also being paid, Irishman Martin, who moved to Peterborough in 1979, said: "I haven't had a chance to spend the money because my wife got hold of the envelope!, "I was part of a team that won a four-man tournament in Stamford the other year when we won £1,200 to be split between us, but this is the biggest singles prize I've had, "Chris had beaten me in both the finals I had lost, so it was nice to put it right this year.", Martin is a well-known figure on the local darts scene. He plays in leagues in the city on Mondays and Wednesdays, lines up in the Cambridgeshire Superleague on Thursdays and also stars for the Cambs county squad, His darting highlight came in 2007 when he advanced to the semi-finals of the British Open before going down to eventual champion Co Stompe, Martin added: "I was in front and thought I had him, but the bottle went. It was a great experience though to beat television stars like Darryl Fitton on the way.", Betty Berry scooped the £200 first prize on Saturday in a ladies competition that attracted 29 entires. She got the better of Shelley Bontoft Gash in the final. Local player Patsy Pollard went out in the semi-finals, The mens' event was sponsored by the New England Club with Nostrebor (Testing) Ltd backing the ladies' event, and organiser Ronnie Johnson is already planning on increasing the prize money next year. She said: "It was a great event and we had players from as far afield as Suffolk, Nottingham and Gainsborough involved, "Winning so much money is not bad for a day's work but hopefully we can take it up to £1,000 to the mens' winner next year."

Cambridgeshire Darts Open

Mens' last 16:

Dennis Harbour bt Damnien Kidd, Chris Cooper bt Mick Reed, Anton Liscey bt Nigel Staniland, Barry Davies bt Pete Dyos, Ian Turner bt Steve Fryer, Eddie Martin bt Ian King, Dave Andrews bt Adam Cousins, Darren Breedon bt Paul Warwick.

Quarter-finals:

Chris Cooper bt Dennis Harbour, Pete Dyos bt Nigel Staniland, Eddie Martin bt Ian Turner, Dave Andrews bt Darren Breedon.

Semi-finals:

Chris Cooper bt Pete Dyos, Eddie Martin bt Dave Andrews.

Final:

Eddie Martin bt Chris Cooper 4-1.

Darts World Column - On & Off the Oche
sponsored by - http://www.rileys.co.uk
stokesey
The PostMyster
The PostMyster

Cash on hand: 19,430.05
Highscores: 0
Arcade winning challenges: 0
Blog: View Blog (0)

Advertisement